George McLaughlin

    George G. McLaughlin's obituary appeared in the Pulaski County (IN) Democrat on 18 Aug, 1927.

George G. McLaughlin.

    George G. McLaughlin, a well known resident of Winamac, died Monday morning about 5 o'clock at a sanitarium at Martinsville, to which place he had been taken on Saturday for treatment.
    Announcement of his death came as a distinct shock to residents of the community, as even his closest friends had not known the seriousness of his illness. He had been ailing for about six weeks and had improved, but his condition became worse the last of the week and he went to Martinsville on Saturday accompanied by Mrs. McLaughlin and R.H. Upsall. They returned home that night, Mrs. McLaughlin expecting to go there again the first of this week. A telephone message from a physician at the sanitarium Sunday evening stated that his condition was critical, so Mrs. McLaughlin, accompanied by Dr. T.E. Carneal, Mrs. O.H. Keller and Charles H. Hoffmann, left immediately for his bedside. They arrived there at 4 o'clock Monday morning and he passed away about an hour later without regaining consciousness. Uraemic poisoning was the cause of death.
    Mr. McLaughlin was forty-two years of age last February 5. He was born in San Pierre, a son of John and Ella McLaughlin, but spent his youth in Chicago, to which city the family removed while he was a child. On October 12, 1909, he was united in marriage to Miss Olive Pattison of this city and they took up their residence in Winamac, which continued to be their home except for three years from 1923 to 1926, when they were located at Michigan City while he was engaged in managing the Vreeland hotel there. Four children were born to them--Georgann,
John, Peggy and Pat, all of which survive. He also leaves one sister, Mrs. Charles H. Hoffmann of Urbana, IL. He was a member of the Winamac Council Knights of Columbus and of the Elks lodge at Logansport. Members of the latter organization were here Tuesday evening and conducted services at the home.
    The funeral was held yesterday morning at St. Peter's church, with solemn requiem mass by Rev. Gilbert Esser, assisted by Rev. Holler of Pulaski and Rev. Rufus Esser of Rensselaer. Burial was given in the Catholic cemetery."